Story of the biggest vaccination drive in the world so far
India is called the 'Vaccine Manufacturer of the World', as it produces approx. 60 % of the world's vaccines. UNICEF depends heavily on economically produced vaccines in India for its global health programs, especially in low-income countries. The reasons which enabled India to become the manufacturing might have been fairly simple: low cost of conducting clinical trials, low cost of production, preference of earning from large scale usage rather than profit on each unit, and most importantly a big talent pool available at fraction of cost of Western World. Hence India became the global leader of generic drugs and vaccines.
2. SII. Fact sheet Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Vaccines. Accessed on May 20, 2021.
3. Bharat Biotech. Covaxin Factsheet, Accessed on May 20, 2021.
4. Rai D. India enters into top 10 nations administering most doses of Covid-19 vaccines. India Today, January 23, 2021. Accessed on May 20, 2021.
5. MoHFW. Covid vaccination. Press release, April 10, 2021. Accessed on May 20, 2021.
6. BBC News India. Sputnik V, Covishield, Covaxin: What we know about India's Covid-19 vaccines. April 14, 2021. Accessed on May 20, 2021.
Copyright (c) 2021 Maya Sharma
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.